What is does it mean to self-quarantine, self-isolate, self-monitor or self-observation?

Isolation and quarantine help protect the public by preventing exposure to people who have or may have a contagious disease.

  • Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
  • Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick.
  • Self-observation means you should remain alert for subjective fever, cough, or difficulty breathing. If you develop fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, contact your healthcare provider and self-isolate.
  • Self-monitoring means you should monitor yourself for fever by taking your temperature twice a day and remain alert for cough or difficulty breathing. If you develop fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, contact your healthcare provider and self-isolate.

Should I self-quarantine, self-isolate, self-monitor or self-observation?

CDC recommends anyone returning from countries with a CDC Level 3 Travel Warning self-quarantine for 14 days from your last day in that country. The self-quarantine recommendation currently does not apply in general to travelers who only transit through an airport in one of these countries. Self-monitor for the development of any symptoms, and call your healthcare provider right away if you develop symptoms.

Those returning from domestic travel in areas with sustained community transmission of COVID-19 are encouraged to practice self-observation for the development of any symptoms, and call your healthcare provider right away if you develop a fever or respiratory symptoms.

Symptoms may be flu-like, ranging from mild to serious, and include:

  • Fever.
  • Cough.
  • Difficulty breathing.

If you are sick with COVID-19 or suspect you are infected with the virus that causes COVID-19, contact your healthcare provider and self-isolate. The CDC offers the following guidance on how to self-isolate:

How do I self-quarantine?

CDC recommends anyone returning from countries with a CDC Level 3 Travel Warning self-quarantine for 14 days from your last day in that country.

To self-quarantine, you should:

  • Stay home. Do not go to work, school or public areas.
  • Separate yourself from other people in your home. Avoid visitors to your home.
  • Self-monitor for fever by checking temperature at least twice a day. Contact your healthcare provider if you develop a fever or respiratory symptoms.
  • When seeking medical care, call ahead and tell them about your symptoms before heading to the doctor’s office or the emergency room.
  • Do not use public transport like buses or taxis.
  • Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, and immediately throw the tissue in the trash and clean hands with sanitizer.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently used objects and surfaces.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

I am a student who is practicing self-quarantine, who should I contact to make arrangements to miss class and other obligations?

Students that are self-quarantine can contact the Dean of Students Office for assistance with academics and classes, work, participation in campus organizations or requirements, and to discuss other considerations. Email or call 734-764-7420. Student Life also is working to make alternative housing arrangements on campus for students who need a place to self-quarantine.

What if my roommate practicing self-quarantine, what should I do?

Students with roommates who are practicing self-quarantine should take precautionary measures including limiting contact with anyone who is under quarantine, cleaning surfaces, washing hands frequently and avoiding sharing utensils. Students can contact the Dean of Students office ( or call 734-764-7420) for further assistance.

I am an employee who is practicing self-quarantine, who should I contact to make arrangements to miss work?

Employees with questions about working arrangements during self-quarantine should contact their unit supervisor. For more information, see this FAQ from Human Resources:

Spring and summer term courses at the University of Michigan will be conducted remotely in alternative formats.

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced on June 1 that she has rescinded the Stay Home, Stay Safe order for all parts of our state and we are transitioning to the “Improving” phase of the MI Safe Start Plan.

The governor’s announcement also permits outdoor social gatherings and events of up to 100 people with everyone maintaining six feet of distance. Indoor gatherings and events continue to be limited to 10 or fewer.

All event organizers are encouraged to consider virtual options. Please review CDC guidance for hosting large gatherings:

We have postponed Spring 2020 commencement activities across our three campuses. This includes both the large campuswide ceremonies and individual school, college and group recognition ceremonies. We know that this is very disappointing to many, and we are looking at ways to celebrate 2020 graduates in the future.

We will find another date for a commencement for the Class of 2020, and the graduates will be part of those discussions. We will share that information as soon as we can.

All U-M non-credit academic programs and offerings for spring and summer 2020 are cancelled for in-person, on-campus experience. Some offerings will be shifted to alternative formats. This applies to programming offered by the schools and colleges and the Office of the Provost.

Schools and colleges are reviewing their spring and summer non-credit programming to determine which programs are the highest priority to continue and can maintain their high quality when shifted to alternative formats.

University resources (Information Technology Services, Center for Academic Innovation) will continue to be prioritized to support credit instruction for the academic continuity for U-M students ahead of support for non-credit programming.

Those with questions about if a particular program will be offered remotely are encouraged to contact the program directly for more information.

All summer camps offered through Athletics are canceled.

All final exams will take place remotely in alternative formats

This essentially extends our previous action to prevent all classes from meeting in person. Faculty and instructors will communicate how this will be handled as soon as possible.

The Ann Arbor Provost’s Office has additional information and resources on remote instruction on our Keep Teaching at U-M page.

Students will not be required to come to our campuses for instruction or exams for the remainder of this semester.

The Office of the Provost on Friday, March 28, shared a message broadly offering additional clarity on grading for undergraduates and graduate/professional students. Please view the Record story highlighting this guidance.

Please visit the Winter 2020 Undergraduate Grading FAQ page for information.

U-M is asking those students who still remain on campus, especially in residence halls, to return to their permanent residence, if that is an option. New developments and guidance in the COVID-19 pandemic make it clear that now is the time to return home if they can.

For those students who must stay, Student Life wants to be sensitive to their needs and ask that you please complete this survey. Student Life will follow up with you, and work with you to make sure your needs are met.

Michigan Dining has suspended dining-in service at all campus dining facilities. Boxed take-out meals will continue to be served during specific hours.

How can I check out of my residence hall?

We have streamlined the process for students. All you need to do is to remove all of your personal belongings from your room, and then email from your umich account. That email will count as your official checkout. You may not be able to return to your room, so make sure you have moved out with all of your items.

I left my residence hall room but left belongings behind: how can I return to pick them up?

Email letting us know that you have left, and that you have belongings still in your room. We are currently working to keep our students safe, and will reply to your email as soon as we can with instructions on how to return to your room, pick up your things, and officially check out.

U-M is suspending all U-M international travel until further notice. Domestic travel for university business is strongly discouraged.

Rare exceptions for international travel deemed essential may be granted if approved by a designated administrator. We encourage domestic travelers to seek virtual methods of convening for university business. The university also discourages personal domestic and international travel.

CDC recommends anyone returning from countries with a CDC Level 3 Travel Warning self-quarantine for 14 days from your last day in that country. Self-monitor for the development of any symptoms, and call your healthcare provider right away if you develop symptoms.

Those returning from domestic travel in areas with sustained community transmission of COVID-19 are encouraged practice self-observation for the development of any symptoms, and contact your healthcare provider if you develop a fever or respiratory symptoms.

Symptoms may be flu-like, ranging from mild to serious, and include:

  • Fever.
  • Cough.
  • Difficulty breathing.

All Michigan Medicine faculty, staff and students who recently traveled to California or Washington state must contact Occupational Health Services upon their return and self-monitor for symptoms for 14 days upon return. Also, any ill persons should stay home.

What changes has U-M made to its education abroad programs in light of the COVID-19 outbreak?

All U-M education abroad programs scheduled for the spring and summer semesters are suspended.

Fall 2020 education abroad programs with departure dates on or before 8/30/2020 must be evaluated for approval by the Provost’s Office on a case by case basis. Please send such requests to Amy Conger ( The most current information is detailed on Global Michigan.

Does U-M have any recommendations for students traveling independently and not on a U-M managed program?

Independent travelers are still encouraged to follow U-M guidance:, which includes avoiding all travel to countries under U-M Travel Restriction.  Students may also register their travel with U-M ( so they can receive university communications and updates specific to their location.  For non U-M programs, it’s important that students stay in close contact with the host university or provider to understand their program-specific cancellation policies.

How will I know if an admissions event that I am registered for has been cancelled?

We have cancelled all on-campus and off-campus events through July, and notified by email those who registered. We apologize for any inconvenience, but trust that you understand our priority is keeping our community safe.

If I want to visit campus, can I do so?

Our goal is to deliver on our mission while protecting health and safety by minimizing the potential spread of COVID19, both within our community and in the broader society. Our campus is currently not open to visitors.

Will there be opportunities for me to interact with undergraduate admissions staff online?

Yes, we have implemented the best ways for our prospective and admitted students to get the information they need to make decisions about applying to and enrolling at Michigan.Much information is available on the admissions virtual resources page. If you have specific questions for admissions, financial aid, the registrar, or our new student programs office, you may reach out to them by phone or email.

I have applied for summer term as a transfer student, but am reconsidering being on campus then. Can I update my application to fall term?

Yes, if you are admitted to a school or college that allows for fall term enrollment we will update your application and admissions decision to the fall 2020 term. You can make the request through If you applied to a school or college that only admits to spring/summer term (Dental Hygiene & Nursing, for example) you will need to speak to the school directly.

I’m applying as a transfer student. My classes have been moved online. Will my credit transfer?

LSA has updated its transfer credit information on the undergraduate admissions website. Contact other schools and colleges in question for the most updated information.

I have met the graduation requirements of my high school. Will my offer of admission be negatively impacted if I decide to graduate early given my school’s closure due to COVID-19?

Graduation and admissions requirements are not necessarily the same. Please check with your admissions counselor to discuss if dropping currently elected course work will adversely impact your admission. You can find your admissions counselor on the admissions website contact us page.

How will taking classes online will impact my application or enrollment?

If you are a high school student, we will accept the information provided on your transcripts from the high school as satisfying graduation requirements. If you are a transfer applicant, we are currently waiting for updated information from our schools and colleges regarding transfer policies, and will share information as soon as it becomes available.

Given the impact of social distancing and cancellations on standardized testing options for students, will U-M become a test optional school for admissions for the fall?

At this time test optional is not an alternative. The College Board and ACT are working to provide viable alternatives for students. We will keep you posted if and when more information is provided.

How will the COVID-19 outbreak affect my F-1 visa? Is there anything I should do on my end to guarantee admission after deposit?

Admission and enrollment are separate. If COVID-19 impacts issuance of visas or entry into the U.S., we work with students to determine if updating to a later term is appropriate. We are aware of impacted countries but you can also let the admissions office know if you have more timely information.

Will my financial aid be affected by the move to remote learning?

A. Standard requirements for attendance and academic performance remain unchanged with the move to remote classes for the remainder of the 2020 winter term and through 2020 spring and summer terms. As with face-to-face instruction, it is important that you continue to participate in your classes.

How can I get in touch with OFA outside of face-to-face counseling?

Phone counseling is still available by calling 734-763-6600. Any future changes made to the phone counseling option will be posted on You may also reach us through email at Questions are typically answered within one business day.

Is the financial aid office still available if I have a question or need assistance?

Yes, the financial aid office remains available. Any change to face-to-face or phone availability will be communicated on

Please visit the Registrar’s Office website for the latest Winter 2020 Tuition & Fees FAQs.

The new COVID-19 Emergency Funding Application is now available. Students can apply for support to address unexpected COVID-19-related costs such as medical expenses, travel costs, or computing/technology expenses required to study remotely.

Who is eligible to receive funding?

Students enrolled during the winter 2020 term have been notified about COVID-19 emergency student assistance and other University of Michigan funds. Students enrolled in terms beyond winter 2020 will be notified when the application is available.

  • Any student needing emergency assistance directly related to COVID-19 expenses is encouraged to apply. Students who complete the U-M COVID-19 Emergency Application will be considered for Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act funding, as well as other limited university sources.
  • Federal emergency grant funding is limited to students who are able to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet the criteria for Title IV assistance. Therefore, only students who have filed a current FAFSA will be eligible for CARES Act funding.
  • If a student has already completed the FAFSA and provided valid results to the university, the student will see the FCOVIS item on their COVID-19 Checklist marked “COMPLETED”. If they have not yet completed the FAFSA, they may get to the FAFSA website by clicking “view/print” on the FCOVIS checklist document.
  • International, DACA, undocumented, and other students who are ineligible to file a FAFSA will see FCOVIS marked “WAIVED.” While these students are not eligible for federal emergency grant funding, they will be considered for other limited university funding.

Where can students apply?
The application for assistance due to a COVID-19 related emergency is available on the Student Self-Service page within Wolverine Access. To access the application, select the COVID-19 Emergency Application tile. Download, complete, and save the linked form, then upload the saved application through the Wolverine Access Document Upload portal.

Students who apply are asked to provide documentation to support/clarify their emergency funding application. Supporting documentation is not required but it is encouraged to assist/clarify their COVID-19 emergency application.

Examples of supporting documentation include (but are not limited to):

  • Medical expenses
  • Travel receipts
  • Employment disruption information
  • Computing/technology expenses

Note that all material must be combined into one document for upload into M-Pathways; email is not safe for transmitting sensitive materials. Students should only submit documentation that details expenses to avoid exceeding the file size limit.

The processing and evaluation of the application is made in the context of federal regulatory guidance provided by the U.S. Department of Education. If some students do not qualify for federal funding, they will still be considered for support from the university.

Please direct questions to U-M is sensitive to your needs and, in anticipation of heavy volume, will respond as quickly as practical.

What costs may be covered?

Costs that may be eligible include (but are not limited to):

  • Medical expenses.
  • Unexpected travel costs.
  • Computing/technology expenses required to study remotely.
  • Housing.
  • Food.
  • Course materials.
  • Health care.
  • Child care.

When will students get a decision and receive the funds?
COVID-19 Emergency Application volume is very high, and processed on an on-going basis. Each application is carefully reviewed. Some applications are straightforward, while other circumstances need more scrutiny. Every effort is being made to reach a decision within 15 business days. Students should submit a Direct Deposit Agreement (more information on this process can be found on the Wolverine Access Direct Deposit Help page) to speed the delivery of payment.

In addition to a current FAFSA, what other eligibility requirements are there for federal emergency funding?
Federal eligibility criteria also include (but are not limited to):

  • Meets citizenship requirements such as an eligible U.S. Citizen or Eligible Non-Citizen
  • Does not have a federal loan in default
  • Is registered for the U.S. Selective Service (males only)
  • Is not exclusively enrolled in online programs in winter 2020
  • Meets all eligibility requirements outlined in Section 484 of the Higher Education Act

Is supporting documentation necessary?
No. However, students who apply are encouraged to provide supporting documentation to support/clarify their emergency funding application. Examples of supporting documentation include (but are not limited to):

  • Medical bills
  • Travel receipts
  • Employment disruption information
  • Computing/technology expenses
  • Unusual child care charges due to the shutdown

Will federal emergency grant funding affect a student’s financial aid?
No. Federal CARES Act grants are not student financial aid funds and will not be included on the award notification.

Are students guaranteed to receive funding at their requested amount?
No. Both the CARES Act funding and institutional funding are limited.

If a student has received emergency funding from another source, are they still eligible for federal emergency grant funds?
All students will first be considered for the federal funds. However, because this money is limited, students who have not received funds from another source will be given priority.

What if a student owes the University of Michigan money?
Federal emergency grants will NOT pay any existing charges owed to the university.

Who can students contact if they have any questions?
Please direct questions to


Travel and study abroad

Parking Updates

University Housing refund information


Quick Links

For medical related questions, please call your doctor. Michigan Medicine patients with questions about symptoms, home management or advice should call the Michigan Medicine COVID-19 hotline at 734-763-6336. Questions about COVID-19? Call the state of Michigan’s COVID-19 Hotline at 888-535-6136, 7 days a week 8am-5pm.

Last updated: June 3, 2020 9:39am